Free Home Improvements

Cold weather seems to be here to stay. And since I work at home (read: sit in my living room, doing nothing but typing, for 8 hours straight) I am very much aware of my house's inability to stay warm. We don't have a thermostat that reads actual temperatures. Each room has a really antiquated thermostat that has two temperatures - 50, and 90. All the area in between is called the "comfort zone". We do have a galileo thermometer which has, for the past couple of weeks, not managed to sink the 64 bubble. So I know it hasn't gotten above 64. The frugal person inside of me liked this.

However, as I began to realize that sub-64 degrees, coupled with my perpetual lack of activity throughout the day led to a perpetual chill and fingers that couldn't type very fast, I decided it was time to crank up the thermostats (all 4 of them). Up they went - and I sat and waited for a warming sensation that would restore movement to my fingers. It didn't happen. I turned up the heat more. Still nothing.

It didn't take long to realize that all the heat (in the living room at least) was coming out of the vent and going straight out the bay window. Suddenly, my back-burner make-curtains-out-of-the-free-fabric-I-got-from-my-mother-in-law project became my highest priority.

So, without pins, without a tape measure or ruler, and without a pattern, with just my iron and my sewing machine I made these:

For the bay window.
And these:For the kitchen.

They are not perfect. The thread doesn't match the curtains. And seams are not always straight. But guess what?

THEY KEEP THE LIVING ROOM WARM (ish). Yay!

And I kind of like the colors....maybe one day I will paint this place. But for now. Mission accomplished.

No comments: