First Flight

Earlier this month Papillon went on her first airplane ride.
My mom, Papillon and myself flew to the other side of the country to visit my brother.

Here is Papillon admiring the view.


She did great on 3 out of the 4 legs of our trip. The first leg of the trip home she got over-tired and couldn't get comfortable enough to fall asleep. Poor thing. It didn't help that it was snowing at our destination airport and the pilot was making gloomy comments about how unpleasant the landing was going to be. I suspect Papillon picked up on my stress.

But for the most part, she charmed everyone on the plane and seemed to enjoy herself immensely.
Papillon is likely to grow into a much better flyer than either her mom or grandmother. She must get that from her World Traveling Aunt.

I thought my siblings might enjoy this picture of me, trying to be happy before take off (I hate flying), with my stress-induced-forehead-vein-thing making it hard to fool anyone.

PSA: For parents flying with a little one. I got some great advice from a friend. As tempting as it may be to board the plane first, when they allow families with small children to board, DON'T. Boarding early only leads to tons of additional minutes constrained to your seat with an antsy little one before you even take off. Board close to last. Less time on the plane = less time for baby to get stir crazy. Best advice ever.

Oh, and checking to see if there are empty seats is also a good idea. We managed to get 3 seats for 3 of our 4 flights. Papillon enjoyed chilling in her own seat.



3 comments:

Ten Page said...

Wow, you are super ambitious taking a 4 month old on an airplane! Did the pressure changes on take-off or landing give her any trouble?

Adrian and Meredith said...

Glad you all made it there safely... and mostly sanely. :-P

lindsay said...

YEAH! I'm glad to hear you guys made it safely there and back! It sounds like she did really well!