Our Trip Out West: Consignment

Ok, finally blogging about our trip out west. That one where Papillon did so well on the plane. You will have to forgive the flow of these posts, they will be in no way chronologically ordered (or even logically ordered for that matter), but hopefully they will be at least mildly enjoyable.

One of the highlights of our trip (other than just plain spending time with family) was to be able to see my brother's consignment store. Apparently the small business gene runs in my family, because my brother is definitely an entrepreneur through and through.
His enthusiasm is hard to miss.

I have to say, I was hugely impressed with his store. And not just because he is my brother. I was expecting a quaint, homespun kind of store where about a dozen customers wandered through over the course of the day. And I was going to be impressed and excited to see that.

But what I saw was the busiest, most spacious, most organized consignment store I have ever been to. Look at this:

Everything is on wooden hangers, and, believe it or not, if the little number thing on the hanger says its a size 8, it is actually a size 8! I have gotten used to just checking the actual tag because hanger-size-indicators are so often wrong in consignment stores and at places like Goodwill. The remarkably accurate labeling took some getting used to. In a good way.


Check out these awesome dressing rooms:

This place has so much character. There is nothing cookie-cutter or purely functional about it. Each door was salvaged from somewhere, and cut down to fit the dressing rooms, and the floor in that area is made from old barn wood.

Their clothes also have character:

They are very selective about what they take; only the best of the best will do!


We had such fun hanging out at the store, even Papillon got caught up in the entrepreneurial spirit and wanted to try her hand and manning the counter (a custom made counter inspired by an old door, and now weight 800+ lbs).
And as a side note, I did actually do some shopping as part of my wardrobe revamping. Details about my purchases will be posted separately.

2 comments:

Beth Anne said...

Wow! I love it...when I show these pictures to Martin he is really going to want to vaction in Idaho :-)

Eliz. K said...

so cool! thanks for posting the photos, E! We saw the old store this summer, but that one looks even more awesome!

Way to go, A & L! Lovely!

(And P is ever so cute :-)

Can we have a coffee date sometime soon? My Tuesdays (afternoon) and Wednesdays are probably the free-est, though that's subject to change :-)