Oktoberfest 2009

The other weekend, Mon Amour and I visited his parents for the 2nd Annual:

We went last year and had a grand time. So we definitely couldn't miss this years.


There was, of course, a lot of beer (all micro-brewed. No Guinness, or Miller Lite, or whatever).

Last year it was all kinds of beer, this year it was all Oktoberfests and Pumpkin Beers. My favorite!


The enjoyment of those beers, was occasionally (pleasantly) interrupted by a more official taste test of the following 6 beers:

Including some Lambic. Lambic is to beer, what White Zinfandel is to Wine. I.e it is the beer for people who don't like beer. It takes like fruit juice. Only weird. I don't like it. Beer should taste like beer.

On the other hand, there was also a bourbon beer in this mix. Bourbon beer = waaaay beyond dark beer. It was pretty much the blackest, most intense looking beer I have ever seen. I didn't taste it. I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn't like it.

Like I said - Pumpkin and Oktoberfests are just right. Neither too light and fruity, nor to dark and bitter.

Beyond the beer, there was also lots of yummy food. Not the least of which was this simply amazing pumpkin dip. Served in a pumpkin (genius!) with ginger snaps.


There was also candy corn. Lots of it.

There was healthy food too. And I promise I did eat some of it.


The decor was also lovely.

By the end of the 7 hour party (yes, first guest came at 3pm, last guests left after 10pm) a lot of beer had been consumed.
This may or may not have been all of it.
However, the general consensus was that despite there being a few more guests, and a lot more hours of partying, a lot less beer was consumed this year than last. How consiencious of us.

All in all, it was a very lovely time. My favorite beer was the Cottonwood Pumpkin Beer. Unfortunately it was also everyone else's fave. So when we took home leftovers there was none of the Cottonwood to be had. Sad day.


2 comments:

Beth Anne said...

that is so awesome! I noticed one of the beers you tested was Dogfish head...from Delaware! We really should plan a time to go to the brewery together! And I am very very intrigued by the bourbon beer. I have yet to meet a dark beer that I didn't like, so I will have to investigate further. And we've never tasted a pumpkin beer, so that will be something else to look into!

AND (I really liked this post, can you tell!) what an awesome dip idea! Did you get the recipe?

Unknown said...

I liked the lambic/white zin comparison. You guys are beer experts!