Armoire Adventure

Remember the armoire that we found for free at a yard sale a couple weeks ago?

Well, the other weekend we put some stain on it. I must say I am super impressed with how it turned out. I thought it might have needed more love than we could have given it, but a little sanding and a little stain and its (almost) good as new!


Doesn't it look nice?


The problem with it in this picture, is that it is in my kitchen....not where it is supposed to be.

We stained it on a Saturday, having thoroughly checked the forecast to make sure that there was no chance of rain for the next 24 hours, so that it could dry outside. We put the last coat of stain on in the evening, and went to bed without another thought for its well being outside on the porch.

Well, at about 5:45 am, I woke up (as I often do in the middle of the night these days, thanks to Papillon) and thought I heard rain. My first thought was of the armoire, but I figured I must be imagining things, since the forecast had not even called for the slightest chance of rain until the next day. But, the pitter patter was unmistakable.

So I work Mon Amour up with a gentle "Mon Amour, it's raining". He reacted exactly as I anticipated; first he grunted and rolled over, assuming that I was just being annoying perky about an early morning spring shower. About 5 seconds later he put two and two together.

With a gasp, he lept out of bed and flew down the steps.
I am not sure what his rush was, cause I can't move that fast these days, and I knew he would need my help moving the armoire inside. I creeped out of bed and followed him at a much slower pace.

Without too much ado, we got the armoire inside to the kitchen. And left it there. Mon Amoire was back upstairs and asleep before I managed to mozy my way back to the stairs.


The armoire spent the next week in my kitchen.
I can help move furniture short distances in an emergency, but there is no way Papillon and I were going to even try and help move that upstairs.
Fortunately, with a bit of able bodied help this weekend, it is now upstairs in Papillon's room where it belongs, none the worse for the rain shower it endured.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sure looks beautiful!