A Guest in the vegetable garden

This might be a long story, so we will get right to it.

Last weekend I was out picking some tomatoes, standing right in the middle of my garden, when it a random thought entered my mind, "I wonder if there is any thing else in this garden with me". I don't know what I thought it would be - a snake or a large bug I suppose - but the thought was enough to get me to look up at the garden as a hole

Imagine my surprise when, less than 2 feet from me was a large black furry lump, laying next to the house. It goes without saying that I jumped. I did not scream though. I am not the screaming type.


This is the furry black lump next to the house. I was to the left of it - where the tomatoes are.

Though my first thought was definitely "large ferocious rabid dog"; it didn't take me long to remember that I lived on a farm, and therefore, this black fur ball was probably a baby cow.

Armed with this knowledge, I went straight for my camera to take some cute pictures.


This one from my bedroom window:

This one from right next to her (clearly).
She didn't move, and for a moment I was afraid she might be dead. But upon closer inspection, I found she was blinking, not moving, just blinking.

Though this little cow was clearly on the wrong side of the fence, like the well seasoned wanna be cow farmer that I am, I didn't want to panic, or even worry unnecessarily. However, it didn't take long before I realized that I was very close to this baby cow, and there was no momma cow hollering at me. That is not a good sign. Momma cows are VERY protective. The whole herd, in fact, was on the other side of the pasture, totally unaffected by this little one's absence. This called for a text to the landlady.

She called, said not to worry, and not to do anything they "thought they knew who it was" and would be down soon.

Well, it was a solid 2 hours before they came down. Poor little cow didn't move during that entire time. When the landlord and landlady arrive, the explained the whole story.

Earlier that day a momma cow was screaming up a storm; she was a very unhappy momma for some reason. But they couldn't figure out why, and she was bothering the other cows, so they locked her up in her own little pen. Their theory was that her little one had wandered off and was lost. The little one that I had found, was quite possibly her baby.

The most heartbreaking part was when the landlord tried to get the baby cow into the calf cart; the baby wouldn't move. She looked in the depths of despair. I suspect she was, and that she had resigned herself to dying. For all I know she had been in the garden since earlier that morning, with nothing to eat all that time.
Fortunately, the story ended happily. The momma cow took the baby cow right back, clearly happy to be reunited; and the baby cow ate like there was no tomorrow!

I tired to get a picture of the happily reunited family, unfortunately, the momma cow was in protective over drive; and every time I got remotely close to the pen, momma cow would charge me making very angry noises. Obviously she couldn't get to me, but I still feared for my life, and charging momma cows make for very blurry pictures.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aw, so cute! I had no idea how little it was! So glad there was a happy ending.