Retirement

Yesterday ended a fairly significant chapter in my life.
Yesterday I retired from my job.
People think its funny that I use the word retire...but for some reason it seems to fit. I am not on maternity leave, its more permanent than that. And quitting just makes it sound insignificant or something. It really was a career in many ways, and it really is ending, hence, I am retiring.


This is my desk.

This used to be my desk. It was much bigger. But I didn't mind being down graded, cause that happened when I started working from home, which was a fabulous perk
When I started I did not get my own desk. I started super-part time as a glorified errand girl. I remember the day they called me about a job. I was working at Chick Fil A, quite happy with my chicken job for the time being. My mom picked me up from work and told me that DP (my, then, future company) had called and wanted to interview me. "Random" was my first thought, and my 2nd 3rd and 4th thoughts as well. I had no office experience, was not looking for a job, and while I did go to church with all DP's employees, I didn't know any of them very well. The interview was equally random. They told me that one of my main jobs would be answering phones. I am fairly confident that I informed them right then and there that I hated answering phones....and they gave me the job on the spot. I guess that's what we call a God-thing.
6+ years later, I have come a long ways. DP doesn't like to give out official job descriptions, but my unofficial title was the "Office Hub" which meant that at least 99% of the information flowing through the office was filtered through me in some way. I kept my finger on the pulse of absolutely everything related to the office.

It was a nice office - waterfront, with a nice view.

This is the poor "pineapple plant" that lived in our office. We got it one summer from a vendor, and I watered it faithfully, until I went away to college, and it went a full semester without water. After that it vacillated between being over-watered, and being completely desert dry. As a result, it has never really grown, and yet it won't seem to die. Maybe its actually fake. Its hard to say.

My job at DP has taught me a lot, and they are responsible for a lot of "firsts" in my life. Here is a bit of a summary...

At DP I made my first long distance phone call (I had to call someone in Texas, and couldn't figure out how to get the call to go through...note to self, you have to dial a 1 first)
I drove through my first drive through (McDonalds..first of many trips)
I had my first manicure / pedicure.
I had my first massage (oh the joys!)
I flew on an airplane for the first time.
I made my first international phone call (Yes, they answered in Dutch, and like a true American I just started speaking English and expected her to switch languages. She did)

While at DP I graduated with my Associates Degree.
I took a semester off and worked full time (my first full time job)
I met (and later broke up with) my first boyfriend
I went away to college.
I met my 2nd boyfriend.
My sister and I went on an insane trip to Europe.
I got engaged to my 2nd boyfriend.
I graduated with my Bachelor's.
I got married.
I moved into my first apartment
I moved to my 2nd apartment
I went on another trip to Europe - less insane, but just as much fun
I got pregnant.
I bought a house and moved again.

So much more happened while I was at DP. But there is too much to remember in one blog post.
There were crazy times; some crazy fun, some crazy hectic.
Every day was different. Even after 6 years of party planning, people still managed to ask new and unexpected questions.
But the people I worked with were always fun (tis a requirement for working at DP). Here is the current crew (a lot of fun people came and went during my career), at my baby shower. Don't we look like fun?

So much more to say, but I will not bore you any longer.

As much as I enjoyed what I did at DP, it is time to start a new career, the career that I have wanted all my life.

Being a Stay at Home Mom.

6 comments:

lindsay said...

Congrats on your retirement! I'm sure you'll be even better at your next job, and you'll have an official title "mommy"!

Eliz. K said...

praying for you!!!

Sarah said...

Congratulations, Emily!!! Can't wait to see and hear (thru the blog) all about your new job. :)

Sarah said...

Congratulations Emily! Can't wait to see and hear all about your new job! (thru your blog!) :)

Unknown said...

Wow, what a poignant and beautiful post! Congratulations on a job completed and well done! Looking forward with you to your new calling where I know you will do the same fabulous job as you have always done in every situation. Love always, Mom

Unknown said...

Ah Emily - I'm practically in tears! I know J&MA will miss you desperately, not only b/c of your "hub-ness", but because of what a delight and joy you are. What a great place with great people! And what a transformation - your first long distance call... I'm cracking up over that! You'll love your new job and you'll be equally amazed at your progression! When it begins to feel a bit overwhelming -remember this blog post and see how much God taught you along the way.