Asian Style Baby Carrier

I have mentioned before how much I love baby wearing. My ring sling is still hands down my favorite baby accessory. And of course the moby wrap is a wonderful alternative, better for forward facing carries and that kind of thing.

Just for fun recently, we decided it was time to add to our baby wearing repertoire. Papillon had gotten some Christmas money from Great-Nannie, and she (or rather, Mon Amour and I) decided to spend it on a bit of fabric to make ourselves an Asian Style Baby Carrier (also known by its name brand "Mei Tai").

We followed this pattern. They would be super easy for those of you who are sewing-machine savvy. I own a sewing machine and I know the basics, but I haven't actually followed a pattern in a loooong time. (last time I sewed something it involved a bunch of straight seems and some guesstimating, resulting in slightly crooked, but functioning curtains).

So, needless to say, it was an adventure...which I didn't photograph, so I won't get in to details. In the end I was excited when the only thing I did wrong was to accidentally put the pocket on inside out, a little seem ripping and re-stitching and we were good to go.

The results:

An awesome Asian Style Baby Carrier that is a little easier to use than the Moby Wrap and a little more versatile than the Ring Sling.

Papillon seems to like it.

And I love it!

Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

Eliz. K said...

oh fun! I love the fabrics!

Adrian and Meredith said...

As a fairly new babywearer, I have to say that the idea of making a carrier myself scares me to death... mostly because I don't trust my sewing skills or my ability to follow directions. You, however, seem to know what you're doing, and it has to be infinitely cheaper to make one of those than to buy it. Rock on!