17 Weeks

I am 17 weeks along today, and feeling great!
I forgot amidst all the unpleasantness of switching doctors how much I love being pregnant. I have been spoiled with easy pregnancies, so that helps. And my baby-belly is hard to hide these days; not huge, but hard to hide which is fine by me. Voila, the 17 week baby belly.


Officially, less poundage than last time, but some how a rounder belly? At least that is how it seems to me.

Symptoms: Not much. Tired sometimes. Hungry all the time. And most nights are filled with crazy and generally frightening dreams. Other than that, no "symptoms" to report. Oh, except that my finger nails are growing at a ridiculous pace again - yay for an influx of growth hormones!

Again with this pregnancy I wouldn't say that I am having cravings, but I definitely have strong feelings about food. I either love it or I hate it. Foods I love: Mac and Cheese, Panera's Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Cereal with Milk, Ice Cream. The common thread...dairy. Yes. I love dairy. Between Papillon and myself (Mon Amour doesn't like milk) we are buying milk 2 gallons at a time these days.

Still no convincing movement so far from this baby. I was really hoping for a crazy wiggly baby this time. But perhaps we have another laid back kid on our hands. From time to time I think I feel something, but nothing repetitive or convincing.

I have found a doctor that I am pretty sure I like. I have only had one visit with them, so i am hesitant to go all out and say they are the best ever. But it was definitely a positive experience and I am looking forward to going back at the end of the month.

We also toured the hospital of choice this past week and over all that was also encouraging. Our tour guide was of the drill-sergeant variety, but if you could get beyond that, the hospital itself seems like a great place to deliver. The have labor tubs, wireless monitors, spacious yet cozy delivery rooms and they are only 15 minutes from our house. I still need to look in to their volunteer doula program which I am very excited about!

I am very excited about this 2nd little child. Papillon is at a very fun age, but I have a weakness for tiny babies. I love them to pieces and can't wait to have my own again. Overall I am not anxious (yet) about juggling two kids. I know it will be an adjustment, but on the whole, I am just really excited about it. I feel like I can plan a little better with this baby than with Papillon, cause I know what to plan for (or at least I think I do!).

The one thing (or at least the main thing) that I am worried about with Baby #2 is that I really really fail at asking for help. And I know that I will need help. I know that I am not super-woman, and that I can't do it all. But gosh, darn it, if I don't try...and sometimes run myself into the ground because I won't swallow my pride and accept that I can't be all things to all people.
I hate needing help. I loathe asking for help. And I am uncomfortable receiving help. This is going to need to change. I am pretty confident God is going to be working on my idol of self-sufficiency in the coming year, and I just hope he's willing to teach me gently.

2 comments:

Laura said...

We'll just come over and threaten to sit on (and consequently smoosh) the new baby unless you let us help! Ellie's part in helping will be to occupy Papillion and I will help in other equally useful ways! :)

Ten Page said...

Which hospital are you thinking about? And once summer comes, I'll come over and help whenever you like (yay for summer vacation)!! I also don't often reach out to people (even though my boss thinks that asking for help is one of my strengths), so I completely understand where you're coming from.