The Cows Escaped....again.

The other day, while the landlord and landlady were away from the farm at a conference, I was given the task of feeding the baby cows. I love that task.

The only problem, is that whenever I am on cow-duty, some bunch of cows or another always manages to get out of the fence. Remember this time? Yeah. that one was intense.

Well, this time was no exception. There I was, innocently feeding Bert and Ernie. When I came out from behind the silos...this guy greeted me.


In case you can't tell, he is on the wrong side of the fence, or, more specifically, the wrong side of the silos. (pardon the weird blue tone, I took this picture with my phone)

I tried to remedy the problem on my own. I was going to have Mon Amour drive the car down the drive way in attempts to scare him back where he came from. Only I couldn't find an opening in the fence to scare him back into.

I thought perhaps if I just left him alone, then he would get bored and return to his barn home. But no, he started wandering further away from where he came from.

So I decided to call the landlady. We went through the usual routine - "Is it a big cow?" "Yes, it's a big cow. A very big boy cow as a matter of fact" (they are scarier than girl cows usually)

We finally established that it was a real crisis - and they called a farm hand to come remedy the situation. That brave farm hand remedied the situation by setting out the cow's breakfast - then smacking it on the bum to get it to move. Literally - the cow perked up at the sound of breakfast being set out, then the guy went over, smacked it, and there it went - back home to the pasture.

So, I was later told that there was a hole in the fence where that cow may have gotten out. So I went to investigate.

It was hard to find, but right in between these two silos....


There is a broken fence. And by broken fence, I mean a total absence of a fence. And just on the other side are all the cows. If they wanted to, they could all just walk out.

The farmer assures me that they wont - that cows are dumb creatures of habit, and even though the fence is gone, because they have never crossed that line, its like the fence is still there.

That's a nice thought, but apparently one cow knows the difference between a fence and no fence.


1 comment:

SuperP said...

Poor Emily. Good thing the farm hand was able to get the cow back in the fence.