Fun things about Nannie's House

There are many delightful things in my Nannie's house, or at least things of which I have delightful memories. So while I was there recently I took a picture of some of them, and figured I would document them here.

The giant stuffed panda, the Othello game, and the toy castle (bottom right corner) - all wonderful toys that my siblings and I enjoyed to the fullest whenever we would visit Nannie.



The fabulous and functioning Grandfather clock which would let out a little chime if you walked past it to heavily, and would keep you up all through the night if you were a light sleeper. But I loved it - it always seemed to make sense to me that my Grandfather would have a Grandfather clock.




The huge and amazingly solid antique cabinet thing. Complete with marble top, and carvings of dead fish and birds on the doors on the bottom. Weird, but some how beautifully impressive.



This is one of my favorite pieces in the house - the small cast iron doggy. It has always always always been in Nannie's house somewhere. And in the days before my family had a real dog, this cold unmoving dog had to suffice.




The tiny kitchen/pantry combo. Which is remarkably small, but somehow the perfect place for baking all kinds of things - cookies, chocolate peanut butter easter eggs, apple butter, etc. Nannie always had a least 20 aprons to choose from when you baked, and so picking out an apron was typically half the adventure.



Also in this kitchen is a delightful hidden staircase. It use to actually go upstairs - when the upstairs was an attic. But when the upstairs became an actual upstairs, the moved the functional staircase elsewhere. So this staircase goes nowhere. And is all the more amazing as a result.


The Jello sign. Its been hanging in Nannie's kitchen for as long as I can remember. I don't know why I like it, except that it has always been there.



But perhaps my favorite part of the house (in that it seems the most fascinating to me) is the layout of the upstairs, which, as I mentioned earlier, used to simply be an attic. It Is now 4 bedrooms.
This picture is taken just as you reach the top of the stairs - and yes, you come out directly into my Grandfather's bedroom. Each of the other 3 bedrooms is directly off this room. This means that if you sleep in one of the other rooms, and have to get up in the middle of the night to get something downstairs (water from the kitchen, or to use the bathroom) you actually had to walk through this room, where, presumably, someone would be sleeping. To me, this seems to add a cool sense of sneaky mystery to the house.


1 comment:

Thomas said...

What great pictures! What amazing memories! I am so glad we went there often so you could have the memories.