Fire Protection

The very first thing that my mother did after Mon Amour and I moved into our small farm house was buy us a few essentials - like a set of flashlights to ward of the darkness, a fly swatter to take care of the swarms, two lawn chairs to sit in on a romantic evening watching the sunset, and a pair of smoke detectors because our house had none.

We were slackers and it probably took us a good 6+ months to actually put them up. I kept telling my mom, though, that they did have batteries in them and they were sitting on top of the mantel, so if there had been smoke it would have detected it eventually.

We did recently manage to get the smoke detectors on the wall. There is one in the bedroom, and one in the kitchen. We are now very safe.


Very very very safe!
Our fire detectors (mainly the one in the kitchen) are overly zealous about their fire detecting duties.

The first time it went off was when I was cooking bacon. Okay, I thought to myself, I probably had the heat on the skillet turned too high (I am an impatient cook)...and there was probably some smoke. I wafted some fresh air towards the smoke detector and it stopped. Crisis averted.

But, no, it goes off every single time I make bacon, or brown hamburger, or cook tortillas; and no, I don't constantly cook things on too high a temperature such as to cause them to smoke unnecessarily. We simply have zealous smoke detectors. Why am I so sure?

Our smoke detector went off the other day when I ..... burnt toast!

Yes, I burnt a piece of toast. It wasn't even black. It was just really dark brown.
And the smoke detector went off. The smoke detector is on the other side of the kitchen....a good 9 feet away.


So, in summary, we are very very very safe when it comes to house fires. Not only can you see the entirety of our house from any give point in the house, but we also have smoke detectors that will let us know if our toast is becoming overly brown.

No comments: