Christmas Lesson

This Christmas I learned a valuable, albeit very difficult lesson, namely, that I cannot do it all. Sometimes, in fact, the best thing I can do is nothing at all.

Nothing is exactly what I did all Christmas break. Tuesday through Wednesday it was due to congestion and related discomfort that had me miserable all day Tuesday, and in bed all day Wednesday. Thursday, by God's wonderful grace, I was out of bed to open presents; still no voice, but well enough to join in the festivities. Friday, when it should have been over, I was hit with round 2 - a stomach bug that had me in bed pretty much all the way through Monday. To change things up I even spent some time in a hospital bed with an IV in my arm on Saturday cause I was forgetting to drink water (which is ironic, since in general water is my standard cure-all. I must have been really out of it to forget about the all important h2o).

All that to say, I did absolutely NOTHING for almost a week solid; and it drove me crazy! I prefer to be ridiculously busy and I thrive off of checking things off my to do list. But after being sick that long I finally succumbed to the fact that it was okay to do nothing, and that bed was the best place for me if I ever wanted to get back to being productive. It was a rough lesson but eventually I think I got the gist of it.

I am pleased to report that despite my illness, I had a absolutely lovely Christmas! And, I am now 100% healthy and back to being productive.

I hope your holidays were equally as fun....though hopefully less disease filled.

No comments: