Marriage Conference

Mon Amour and I returned yesterday from a marriage conference.
It was very cold...


But we learned a lot and had a lot of fun despite the frigidness. There were some great speakers. Some fabulous fellowship, and some all around plain old good times.

However, while the speakers taught us a lot about trusting in God, and showing mercy to your spouse, etc etc, the most fabulous lesson that we learned came when we got to see God's faithfullness first hand....by way of a broken / fixed car.

Saturday morning, in the 4 degree weather, we headed out to our car to drive to the conference center. *click click click* was the only sound our car managed to make. We tried again........nothing. Not even the clicking.

Not time to panic we figured. Probably just needs to be jumped. So we summoned the wonderful friends with whom we were spending the weekend and hooked our car up to theirs.

Still nothing. And now we are out of theories (can you tell we are not mechanically minded?)

It was getting late - so we hopped in our friends car, leaving our poor dead car. The trip to the conference center was very quiet - I think we were both trying to think of what we would do - do we take it to a local mechanic and hope it is a cheap/quick fix? Do we bum a ride home, and just abandon our poor dead car?

I must confess I felt very stranded. We were 2.5 hours from home. With no car. And no plan. I was very very distracted through the entire morning session. I was trying to figure out who we could bum a ride home with...then trying to figure out why I thought that would help the situation, cause then we would be home, but with a dead car 2.5 hours away. I was also thinking to myself "Ok God, I am here being freshly reminded of your control over everything...and by everything I am including my broken down car. That was a conscious plan on your part. What in the world were you thinking???" I had some theories as to what He was thinking...but nothing really satisfying.

To make a long(ish) story short, the session ended and I picked up my phone to call my friend and see if the car had magically fixed itself. To my great surprise and relieft, she had already called me and left a message - the car was fixed!! Turns out it was a battery problem....our batter is waaaay beyond the healthy point. The connector thingys were frightfully corroded (thanks guys at the car place who we had look at the battery a mere 3 weeks ago and who told us it was absolutely fine). A little cleaning off of the corrodedness, a little jump start, and a prescription to get a new battery ASAP, and we were good to go.

I am always very relieved when a car problem gets fixed. However I am not always (i.e. rarely ever) inspired to give God the glory for my car repairs. This time I was though. Perhaps that was the lesson I was being taught....to praise Him for everything, even mechanical things that seem so far beneath the realm of spirituality.



No comments: