Homemade Applesauce

This baking moment is brought to you by a free bag of apples that I got from work. (Yes, it's a sort of a weird work perk...but not the weirdest I have ever gotten. I have a strange job, with strange perks) The apples were left over from an event, and had been left in someone's car, so they froze. Then they thawed. They felt a little bit mushy, and my coworker was about to throw them out - when I snagged them!

Less than perfect fruit is excellent for baking with. I decided that these 7 huge apples, would be excellent for making applesauce with. After searching high and low for a recipe I thought I would like, I settled on this one. I think I may have used a bit less sugar than it called for. I can't remember exactly.

It was very easy. In no time at all, I took this:

And with the help of my friendly potato masher...

Made some yummy, homemade applesauce.
Conveniently, I had cleaned and saved an old Acme Apple Sauce jar, which I filled completely 48oz full. So now it is in the fridge looking store bought, but tasting so much better.

Side note: Generally I believe homemade things to be cheaper than store bought; however, in this case, where, I typically pay about $1-2 for 48oz of applesauce. I am pretty sure that the 7 huge apples it took to home-make the same amount would have cost more than $2 (had they not been a work-perk). Though, this homemade stuff is amazingly more delicious.

What I did with the 3 free, slightly mushy pears that I also received is a story for another day...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I have that same potato masher!!! Everyone laughs at me when they see it. :)

Unknown said...

That is a rad potato masher.