Memories Part 2: The Engagement

Mon Amour proposed on December 22, 2006. I said yes (obviously)

But Mon Amour was by no means confident that I would.


Completely without my knowledge, Mon Amour had actually purchased a ring over the summer (July I think), right about the time that I told him that I didn't know if I wanted to marry him, and actually all this marriage talking was making me nervous, so let's just not even mention marriage for the next...say....3 months.

I know, poor Mon Amour, how I tortured him. But, to my credit we started dating in February of 2006, and at that time I told him I wanted to go slowly, I was in no rush. No more than 5 months later, he was ready to make it forever. So much for the slow track.

Anyway, after 3 months I let Mon Amour talk about marriage again. But I still wasn't convinced. Eventually he asked my dad for permission to ask me to marry him. Dad decided to talk with me first. We talked some, I cried some, and in the end Dad asked if I wanted to marry Jacob, and I think I said something like "I don't know". And that's where we left it. Based on the uncertainty of my answer to dad, I definitely wasn't expecting a proposal...

But it came. It involved a nice dinner at a restaurant (that is now no longer in business) followed by a long peaceful talk while we sat at the city dock. That should have been my first clue - we never just sit and talk for a long time. Turns out Mon Amour was waiting for the right moment (aka for all the other people to leave) to propose. The right moment never came, and I was getting cold, so I said we should leave. He hummed and hawed and we didn't leave. So I stood up and started dragging him in the direction of the cars. My goodness was he ever being stubborn, I thought. I looked back to see why, and there he was, down on one knee. He'd asked me many times before if I thought I wanted to marry him, but this time he wasn't asking what I thought about marrying him, he was simply asking if I would.

I said yes.

Some of my favorite moments of the night:
  • Going to starbucks afterwards, and having Mon Amour just sit there and stare at his hot chocolate. He was obviously out of things to say. I wanted him to be ecstatic. He was calm and quiet. Yeah, that made me wonder if I should have said yes. Haha.
  • Going to my parents house (in seperate cars cause we met at the restaurant) to announce the good news to my parents. Mom was painting the dining room...and she was a bit shocked (dad hadn't given her a head's up)....then leaving a few minutes later (probably a really good idea, cause it gave mom a chance to process)
  • Going to Bible Study where many of my friends were, just in time for the socializing part, and announcing the good news. There was lots of screaming - I think one friend actually screamed and jumped on me. Twas lovely.

No comments: