Memories Part 3: Getting Ready

Through much of the wedding planning process I was a bit nervous. The planning part didn't really make me nervous - event planning is my profession, so it wasn't terribly difficult in that regard. For me I think focusing on the wedding day kept me from being nervous about the lifetime that followed. I wasn't nervous that I had made the wrong choice or anything - but the wedding planning part was familiar (in the sense that it was much like the events I planned for work) and I could do something about it. But the lifetime afterwards was completely new territory, and I didn't feel like I knew how to prepare for it. So when ever Mon Amour would talk excitedly about the being married part - I would get waaaay nervous. Thankfully he was really good about my nervousness and he didn't even get distressed when, a week before the wedding, he said "Guess what! Next week we will be married! Aren't you excited?" and my response was "Ack, sort of, maybe. But really, more just freaked out". Yes, he is incredibly patient.


But, the day of the wedding, things totally flip flopped.

I was totally relaxed. Totally. Nothing could phase me.


For the whole planning process, I had kept detailed notes in a three ring binder. Everything was in there, all of my notes, invoices, to do lists, etc. Well, we got to the rehearsal ....and I had left it at home. But by that time, I was so wonderfully chill that I didn't care. I didn't even know which bridesmaid we had paired with which groomsman, but I didn't care. I was in a"whatever will be will be" mindset.


Mon Amour, on the other hand, was freaking out! He was nervous, sick to his stomach, and just an all around mess.

Fortunately, I didn't know this until afterwards.


In the mean time - I was doing great.

My hair appointment was fun - and the hair turned out great!

After the hair....I went home, ate some food, lounged around. Just waiting for the party to start.

Eventually we headed up to the church to get ready and all that.
My little sister did my make up and such, and made sure my hair was still holding up securely.

While we were all getting ready, I received reports of a couple "disasters". First - the tux of one of the groomsmen had come with a tie instead of a bow tie. Now he was going to stand out like a sore thumb. Easy fix - have the groom where they tie - he's supposed to stand out from the rest anyway. Then someone came to tell me they didn't have the appropriate cables to connect the laptop to the speakers, so there might not be any music at the reception. I think my response to that one was "Well, if you can make it work, great! If not, so much for the music."

The only thing that bothered me about the day was how much time there was before the ceremony started. We got married at 2pm and I easily could have been ready by noon. The down time was killer - time moves incredibly slowly when you are sitting around in your wedding dress hiding from guests and groom and all.

Finally it was time....


1 comment:

Eliz. K said...

haha, i was just the opposite about being stressed! i was pretty chill the whole time leading up to it, and then the last 24 hours (almost exactly) were ridiculous. i was more stressed than ever before. but, once the ceremony started i was fine :-)

ps, one of my vivid memories of your day, was getting to talk to Jacob that morning. Rachel and i were in the office and he hung out a little... i don't remember what was said, just that it was fun to see him before the wedding.

that and Rach and i got up at 5 to see the Chatanooga team off-- that was... early. the end.

:-)