Home Made: Hummus

Unfortunately, the pictures to go with this post are super lame. I always have grand intentions of taking pictures of my baking adventures....and then, after the first picture, the camera is discarded due to the flurry of baking activity.

So here is our one lone picture for the making of homemade hummus.



Garbanzo Beans! or Chick Peas! What ever you prefer to call them. Either way, I love them.

My fondness for hummus is definitely a new found thing. Until about a year ago, I didn't even know what hummus was. I asked people and they would undoubtedly respond "It's ground up chick peas". To which I was like, "Hmmm....not helpful".

But then one day, I had some at a restaurant. Some warm hummus served with tortillas. Sooooooo good! Since then I have been determined to eat it at home. However, it turns our, pre-made hummus is freakishly expensive. Like, I couldn't bring myself to buy it, expensive.

So I figured if people were telling the truth about it being "ground up chick peas", which sell for like 65 cents a can, how hard can it really be?

Well, much to my delighted surprise, it is as simple as it sounds. This is how it goes: 1 can garbanzo beans, 1/4 cup olive oil, a tablespoon or two of lemon juice, then garlic and cumin to taste. Blend until smooth. Serve with whatever.

Many recipes call for a seasoning called Tahini, which I have yet to be able to locate. But, my hummus doesn't miss it.

1 comment:

SuperP said...

you may or may not find this helpful but Tahini is made from sesame seeds.... fermented i think. Though I am not quite sure. If you absolutely wanted to find it, you may have to look at a gourment food store. Not that Kent Co has them. Or safeway. They might have it too.