Homemade: Pasta

This past weekend Mon Amour and I embarked on an exciting homemade adventure. We made homemade pasta. It was Mon Amour's idea. We have done it once before. It is not something I intend to continue to make from scratch...at least on a regular basis. Why use 4 eggs, 4 cups and flour and tons of time, when I can get equivalent results for less than 1 dollar from a box. Granted, there are some benefits - I suspect our pasta had more protein and normal ingredients than your every day box of pasta. I read the ingredients on a store bought box - whoa. It's ridiculous how I have no idea what they put in that. Crazy.

Anyway - that said, the pasta making was fun, and probably healthy. And not terribly expensive. But it was frightfully time consuming. Let me show you.

You need - 4 eggs, 3 1/2 -4 cups flour and a dash of salt.


Make a well of flour (and salt) in your bowl.
Put 4 eggs into said well.


Gently whisk the eggs, adding in some of the flour.

Mix in more flour...until you can knead it like a dough.

Knead into a ball. Refrigerate 30 minutes or so. When it comes out it will be yellow-ish and spring back when you poke it.

Roll it out.

Then slice it with a handy dandy herb-dicer. Or pasta maker, if you have one. We used the herb-dicer.


You'll end up with strips of pasta dough.

Separate the strips and put the in a heap. This makes a huge heap of pasta.

Bring some water to a boil. Add the pasta and boil for about 5 minutes.

Strain.

Then, pasta's done.

It's very yummy.

It was additionally yummy because we then added tomatoes and basil...


and topped with chicken wrapped in bacon.


It was quite a delicious dinner.


3 comments:

Eliz. K said...

I'm leading a new group of senior girls this year, and while I already knew a couple, many of them didn't know me before last week... this week, during bible study, i was in the middle of a bunch of projects (like, bread, cookies, beef jerky...) and we had talked about our squirrel adventures the week before...

one of the girls said "do you make everything yourself?"

I'm glad to have a reputation, but not there yet! quite inspired by this post thought :-) lovely!

Unknown said...

Mmm, wrapped in bacon! Top Chef Season 6 is only 5 episodes in, and already two times someone has said bacon makes everything better.

Sarah said...

Seriously, this made me so hungy!!! I'll have to try this is I ever have the time. It looks absolutely delicious!!~!