Homemade: Tomato Sauce

In the past couple of months, I have started making from scratch some things that I would previously never really considered making from scratch. But now that I have done it, its hard to go back to store bought. It is hard to switch back for many reasons, some economical, some chemical, and sometimes even as a matter of taste preference. Over a series of posts (which may or may not be posted back to back) I will share with you some of these fun things.

Starting with: Tomato Sauce.

Usually I buy this dirt cheap at the grocery store. On sale with coupons always. We eat a lot of pasta sauce. It serves many uses in our house. I love sauce from a jar

But of late I have had a lot of tomatoes sitting around; they are from our garden, like these:



I don't really like to just eat tomatoes, so it was time to learn to make sauce.

So I sliced.

Then I simmered with a little olive oil, and lots of fun seasonings. I think the recipe I found said to simmer for about 30 minutes. It seemed excessive, but I guess it did the trick.

Oh, and the recipe that I found also said to peel the tomatoes. I didn't do this. But I would recommend it if you like smooth sauce. Tomato skins don't really simmer up smooth. They kind of stay like skins.

But, after 30 minutes of simmering, take a little pastry cutter thing, or a fork to the mess to smooth it out. And voila! Tomato Sauce!

It looks like the stuff from the can. It doesn't really taste like it. But its close. We ate it and enjoyed it. I wouldn't say I loved it, but it has inspired me to search out a recipe that I do love, cause I know its out there some where.

If any one knows of a good home made tomato sauce recipe - do share!


1 comment:

Beth Anne said...

Awesome! I much prefer the spagetti sauce that I make - though I do not start from tomoatos! I'm one of those people who don't like the chunks as much (and Martin too) so I get a huge can of sauce from costco and doctor it up