Mother's Day Surprise

On this, my first official Mother's Day, I must take a moment to boast.
I was not expecting anything for Mother's Day. Perhaps I should have expected something, cause I should know by now that Mon Amour is really excellent at both gift giving, and surprises.

So this morning, I get up and start getting ready for church. The trick to a happy baby at church on Sundays is to have her sleep as long as possible and get her up at the last possible moment, with just enough time to nurse, get dressed and feed Papillon a banana. Usually Papillon wakes up on her own a little too early. But this morning she was doing a good job sleeping and so I was not going to wake her. It was, however, time to wake Mon Amour up, and he was not budging. Gosh, I though to myself, he must be extra sleepy today he is usually not this hard to wake up. And I braced myself for the grumpy-ness that tends to be a sleep deprived Mon Amour.

Papillon at this point was making some noises, and it was time to fly through our morning routine, so I went into her room to wake her up. I was pleasantly shocked to find her sitting up:

(note, this scene had to be re-created. Papillon can think of nothing but nursing when she sees me first thing in the morning, so there was no time for a picture. But, this is infact how she was positioned when I found her).

Generally I find Papillon in about the same position that I left her, so to find her sitting up was a pleasant surprise. We also learned last night, when Mon Amour went to check on her before we went to bed, that she actually sleeps on her stomach. Who knew. I always put her down on her back and she is always on her back when I get her up. But apparently in between she is a tummy sleeper. How cute!

Anyway, I was so focused on this awesome Mother's Day present from Papillon, that I didn't notice this:


Until Mon Amour (who was faking sleeping this whole time!) came in, looked behind me and gasped. I turned around expecting to see a spider or something. But there, on the floor, was my Mother's Day present from Mon Amour and Papillon. The flowers had tipped over (hence Mon Amour's gasp) and since it is generally safe to blame messes on the dog, my first thought at seeing the present was "How did Marge get into Papillon's room in the middle of the night?" followed quickly by the thought "Oh wait, these weren't here last night, this is not a Marge-disaster, its a Mother's Day present!" Haha.

I am happy to report the flowers were unharmed from there fall, the black licorice (my fave, which Mon Amour hates!) and chocolates are super tasty, and the Mother's Day card (perhaps the biggest surprise coming from my generally-not-a-fan-of-mushy-ness husband) is my favorite!

I love my family! And I love being a Mom!

No comments: