Playground of Awesomeness

Quite possibly one of the most exciting things about our trip to Kansas was the discovery that playground equipment that for years has been deemed unsafe and therefore illegal (I think) in our part of the country, is still alive and well in Kansas. Yay Kansas! (not sarcastic this time ;-)

The place we went in Kansas is a small town of about 9000 people (huge by Kansas standards), but for being so small, it has quite a nice park area. Here is a little tour in no particular order.


One Merry Go Round of Death! Clearly that's not the technical name. But, seriously, haven't these been outlawed because kids get thrown off and trampled??

This one doesn't seem very dangerous, so tell me, why don't we have fun dirt-digging contraptions in any playgrounds around here?

The focal point of this playground was this:

Mon Amour and Papillon stood next to it for a size reference. It order to appreciate the fullness of its hazardous-ness, let's look at it from a few more angles.

Can these even be called steps? its more like a 20 foot ladder!

And look at the angle on this slide with a bump in the middle? After the little hill it basically drops straight down.

I think once upon a time, when I was in Kindergarten, my playground had a slide almost this tall (just one, not the magically 5-slide combo that this place has), and I was terrified of it. (They have since removed that slide for safety reasons.) I think I went down it once...and was scarred for life. So obviously I had to take this one in a life time opportunity to conquer the Tall Slide.

Mission accomplished. It was thrilling. A roller coaster for those of us who are terrified of roller coasters. It was super fun.

There were some slightly less intimidating slides, such as this triple-wide one.

And a cute little one that Papillon tried out all on her own (ok, not actually all on her own, but close)

Papillon taking on the mini-slide.

In addition to the playground this park also has a zoo (see the buffalo below) and a SWEET water park (not pictured). For a small town, the public spaces are totally amazing.

4 comments:

Eliz. K said...

Are you referring to that tall, steep, narrow slide from church? I remember being terrified of it! oh my goodness. I think I went down once or twice, but the narrow ladder-stairs were bad and then being at the top was worse!

I still love those merry-go-round-of-death things though...!

John D. said...

I LOVED those dirt excavator thingies! I would play with them all the time if I could...

InDeeds said...

Elizabeth - yes, that terrifying slide that was at church. I am glad to know I was not the only one who was afraid of it. I distinctly remember one of my friends from kindergarten coaching me through my first attempt at the slide...which may have also been one of my last. Haha. Much too thrilling for me.

Beth Anne said...

There is a playground in Wilmington that has those diggers, and I agree, they are awesome! I wonder if they are not as prevalent because sandboxes are not around as much due to the litter box for different animals issue?