Groceries: March Edition

It doesn't really need to be stated again. But I love grocery shopping. I love my little budget, and all the wonderful things I can make it do.

Just for fun, I thought I would take a look at where my grocery budget went this month. I keep track of it week to week, but have never really looked to see what a month of groceries looks like for me. So, let's take a look.

In March, this is how grocery things went:

First there was Acme.
Note: Acme is hands down my favorite local store. Great sales, doubles coupons, etc etc

Highlights included:
Lysol Products: ~$1 each
London Broil $1.99 per pound.
Yogurt: $0.25 each


Then there was Giant:
Nothing here was remarkably on sale. I paid close to "retail" cause when fruit and veggies are on sale, they are like 10 cents off per pound. Not that exciting.

I was kind of excited about the slightly rotten bannanas for 33 cents a pound (which froze, and I will make banana bread out of) but later in the month I learned that you can get perfectly ripe bananas for the same price, not on sale. Oh well.

This was a good one at Acme:
There were also 2 more boxes of Wheat Thins type snacks - they didn't make it into the picture

Highlights:
Grapes $0.99 per pound
Wheat Thins/ Ritz / Teddy Grahams: 4 for $5 AND quite unexpectedly I got a $10 Catalina coupon (i.e. one that prints out with your receipt) to use on my next purchase courtesy of Kraft! Very pleasantly surprised by that.


The last shopping trip of the month was also delightful. It was a combination Food Lion / Acme Run.

I don't usually like Food Lion. But they had chicken on sale for $1.79 per pound, which is hard to beat around here, and Food Lion sells Purdue chicken which is at least 5 times better than the generic Acme brand. So, I stocked up.


Total "Retail" Value of my Monthly Groceries: $314.21

Total I paid: $133.14


Which left lots of space in the grocery budget for a trip to Wendy's, a bottle of wine, and a lunch at a local Mexican Restaurant

And I still ended up $25 UNDER budget.


It was a good month for the grocery budget.
I wish I could say the same for the car repair budget...and the utilities budget....but that is a different story.

No comments: