The Bull

One reader commented on Cow Naps: Nap like you're dead that perhaps that particular cow was pregnant, and so limited in her comfortable sleeping position options.

This is a distinct possibility, for reasons we will explore today.


This may look like a picture of an ordinary bunch of cows. But look closer. Can you spot the one that's different?



Here, we can look a little more closely:


Can you see him now?

Yeah, its definitely a 'him'. Most of the 'him' cows on the farm are "steers" which , as my eloquent land lady put it, are "boys who can't have babies. Don't get attached to them, they are the ones we eat"

Dully noted. Don't get attached to the steers, but you can get attached to the cows, and the.....


BULL!


Can you see it now? This is no ordinary cow, or steer. This would be a genuine he-can-have-babies kind of Bull.

I hadn't seen him before just a couple weeks ago, when I noticed there was this significantly huge cow that had a brand on his backside. Most of the cows on this farm are not branded, so the brand was strange to me. But, I now have a hypothesis about the situation. This would be my totally unverified hypothesis. For all I know I may be waaaay wrong. But it makes sense to me.

My Hypothesis:
My farm does not own a bull. So we rent one.
This would explain why I have never seen this bull before.
It would also explain why it is branded "PT" - when there is no P and no T in our farm's name
And it makes sense in light of the fact that last year, baby cows arrived late-fall some time.
Which is an appropriate time line assuming they rented the bull at about the same time last year.


So yes, Mr Scary Looking Bull is not here to stay. He was contracted for a particular job, and once the job is done, he will go away, back to a farm where a "PT" brand makes sense.


Stay tuned for much cuter baby-cow posts later this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ohhh dearr :-)
haha

ps, i love reading your blog!